Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Do I think? I Think I Do.

A member of my extended family, once told me he believed the majority of the population doesn't think. A small percentage think they think and a smaller percentage still actually do. There were actual percentages quoted, I have forgotten them unfortunately but I am sure you get the gist. Alternatively, my husband believes there is no such thing as original thought. If that's so, doesn't that drop those poor buggers who're out there rackin' their brains into the group of "Think they're thinkin'" thinkers? This particular thought process is causing my brain to hold up it's hands, palms out, in an 'I am unarmed' gesture. I am too tired to even think about thinking I am thinking tonight. I've digressed here and you didn't even know it. I'm sorry. I don't want you to leave me tonight with a 'What the...?' aftertaste.

I'll try to keep this short. Just a bit of an introduction to my version of associative thought, because I am tired and I can guarantee I will not be able to articulate my thoughts adequately.

I drove my daughter into the city on Sunday. She will be thirteen in about a week and seeing as we live just outside of Nowheresville, I thought it would be a treat to drive into the city and let her shop at the stores she rarely gets to shop at. So I am driving along at a good clip and in the space of 10 km I have to avoid the messy results of an unsuspecting raccoon and an unidentified animal trying to cross the highway sometime before I got there and not making it to the other side.

Riddle me this; Why did the raccoon cross the road? Because we put the fucking road in the way!

The wheels started turning folks, the cogs were.....well, whatever cogs do. I started thinking. Or did I? Just kidding! Anyway, for the rest of my drive I pondered the plague that is the human race and what we have done and continue to do to both our cohabitants and our habitat. Ladies and Gentlemen, I have solved all of our problems! I will cure famine! I can end global warming! The cure for the economy is within my grasp! I can and will prevent any future wars! I am all knowing! And what brought about my epiphany? My profound understanding of the queries the minds of men have struggled with? Why, Roadkill, of course.

No, I really don't have all of the answers. In fact, I have more questions now than before my roadkill catalyst. But they are questions I have never asked myself before. You know what happens when you start asking yourself questions you've never asked yourself before? You answer with thoughts and opinions or even more questions you didn't know you had. Here I sit, with thoughts and ideas I've never had floating around up there and the best way to work this shit out is to put it to paper. But now my brain is dragging out the white flag and waving it, pleading me to give it a rest tonight. I'm trying to convince myself to keep going because I've been hanging on to this since Sunday and I don't want to lose it, even if the result is me looking like a big ol' hypocrite, then so be it, because the ride will be fun. It's gotta wait though, I just don't have the juice tonight. Tomorrow night, maybe. But for now, G'nite.

No comments:

Post a Comment